Friday, May 31, 2013

Digital Storytelling on iPad


It shouldn't make a difference but it does.  

I had been providing digital storytelling workshops for several years to teachers and students before I treated myself to my first Centre for Digital Storytelling workshop in Denver three years ago this summer. I remember starting with the story circle, writing my narrative and then we were all given white MacBooks and had an hour or two instruction on a particular video editing software. We were all using the same technology to assist us in telling our stories. 

But what if you don't know what to expect  technology-wise when invited to facilitate a session for a particular group? You can have the most engaging session where stories are told that would make you cry, but the technology can make or break a session for some participants. Imagine getting your story out and then not being able to follow through because the technology is a barrier. 

Could a mobile device be the answer? After all it is a device that most people are familiar with in the form of a phone. Joe Lambert has started using iPhones in his DS sessions. And in a couple of weeks the session I'll be guiding will have all participants using iPads and iMovie. Will it be the answer? Perhaps. At least we'll have a set of common problems to solve. 

Most of the sessions I conduct are for first time digital storytelling participants. I find they are amazed at the power of story. In fact the sessions are quite transformative for many. With the help of iPad at my next session I hope all will be successful. 

After all, the technology shouldn't make a difference, but it does. 

No comments: