Monday, April 20, 2009

Capture Wales - Everyone has a story to tell.

If you haven't happened upon Capture Wales, now is your chance.

Capture Wales was one of the first digital storytelling sites I found to help me on my dst journey.

Many years ago they started with only a few categories. They were family, passions, etc. Now I see they have expanded and have categories from A to Z.

The story here is about a young woman and the memories she has of her Grandfather.

This type of digital story is called a Memorial Story. Memorial stories deal with memories of people who are no longer with us. These stories are often difficult to produce and to watch but are emotionally powerful and can help with a person's grieving process.

A Memorial Story is just one type of Personal Reflection Story.

Note: Capture Wales encodes all their digital stories using Real Player.
Download: BBC Capture Wales - Guide to Digital Storytelling

Here's the text of "Someone is Watching Over Me" by Rhian Williams

"Ever since I was little me and my Granddad have been close. Unfortunately not long ago he became a very ill man but, although he was very ill, he was the strongest man I knew. He had struggled through a heart transplant and lung cancer, each time coming out stronger than ever.

Last November he developed a nasty cold and when he was admitted to hospital I remember thinking there's no need to worry, he's going to be fine. He always is, Granddad always gets better. But then it turned nasty, to pneumonia. Granddad suffered, gradually getting worse until he passed away on the 2nd January 2006. It was hard to get over such a big loss but I had to concentrate as I had my GCSEs later that year and Granddad has always pushed me to do my best in school. Thankfully I did well and wished he could have been with me to celebrate.

However, the following Christmas I lay restless in bed and that's when Granddad came to visit me. There he was standing at the bottom of my bed saying, "Congratulations on your exam results. I'm just sorry I wasn't there to congratulate you." This visit meant the world to me and my family and now I can be sure he's always there when I need someone watching over me. I just hope he pays another visit soon."

No comments: