Saturday, April 18, 2009

Make a Movie - That Tells a Story

I was shuffling through my collection of "storytelling" resources today and came across Billy Field's book: "Make a Movie That Tells a Story"

If you don't know Mr. Field's work that's O.K. You may have watched some of his television shows on some of the retro channels or if you are my age, when you were younger. He wrote for the television show "Fame" and was mentored by Beth Sullivan the creator of the television series "Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman".

What I like about Mr. Field's book is that he begins by writing about how to write a story and screenplay. He talks about having:

1. A strong main character.
2. A pivotal problem the character encounters.
3. A decision the main character has to make.
4. A goal the character has to achieve.
5. An obstacle the main character has to overcome.

With these 5 areas he describes the story basics. Really good stuff. Also, at the end of the book he describes his "Hero Next Door" film project. Heros next door have always been a topic that I think garner some of the best digital stories. There are sample project topics on the website he has had students create.

If you get a chance to see or attend one of Billy Field's workshops it will be well worth it. At the very least you can browse his website. I had the good fortune to be part of a day long "telling a story" session with Mr. Field in Toronto a number of years back and I continue to use his ideas in my video and digital storytelling sessions today.

No comments: